Back to the News
October 20, 2008
Four Council seats up for public vote; candidate petitions due by Nov. 2
The Tribal Council has set the schedule for this year's Tribal Council elections. The seats of Chairman Daniel Eddy, Secretary Valerie Welsh-Tahbo and Councilmembers Dennis Patch, Herman "T.J." Laffoon and Bo Flores are up for re-election. The following is the schedule approved by the Tribal Council for the upcoming Tribal elections, to take place on Saturday, December 6.
Resignations of Council members who are candidates for Chairman. Vice-Chairman is designated to accept resignations and present them to Tribal Council.
- Saturday, August 9 - Regular Tribal Council meeting to certify, by resolution, review the Election Ordinance, and Order Posting, 2008 General Election Schedule, Election Regulations, Election Budget, approve Notice of Election and Absentee Ballot Request. Selection of the 2008 Election Overseer.
- Friday, September 5 - Posting of Election Ordinance in the designated areas: Tribal Administrative Center, PHS Indian Hospital, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Irataba Hall, Parker Post Office, Poston Post Office.
- Monday, September 22 - Notice of Election mailed to Tribal membership with Absentee Ballot Request Form. Election Board applications are available.
- Tuesday, October 7 - Special Tribal Council meeting at 1:30 p.m. to certify the Eligible Voter's List. Approve Official Nomination Petition and Declaration of Candidacy Form.
DISTRICT I - Tribal Administrative Center
- Friday, October 10 - Posting of the Eligible Voter's List in designated areas: Tribal Administrative Center, PHS Indian Hospital, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Irataba Hall, Parker Post Office, Poston Post Office.
- Saturday, October 11 - Regular Tribal Council meeting. Tribal Council to declare vacant Tribal Council positions.
- Monday, October 13 - Petitions available for candidates at the Enrollment Department, Tribal Administrative Center.
- Thursday, November 6 - Petition Deadline for all candidates. Petitions are to be returned to the Enrollment Department by 5 p.m. Election board applications are due by 5 p.m.
- Friday, November 7 - Special Tribal Council meeting at 9 a.m. Tribal Council to certify petitions of candidates. Review of any referenda to be included on the election ballot. Review and select the Election Ballot Format. Selection of the Election Board Committee.
- Wednesday, November 12 - Posting names of qualified candidates in the Tribal Administrative Center and the PHS Indian Hospital.
- Thursday, November 13 - Absentee Ballot Request Forms due by 5 p.m.
- Monday, November 17 - Election Board Meeting at 6 p.m. Mail-out of absentee ballots requested by Tribal members.
- Monday, November 27 - Election Board Meeting at 6 p.m. Counting of ballots and scaling of ballot boxes.
- Saturday, December 6 - General Election, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
DISTRICT II - Headstart Valley School
Any member of the Colorado River Indian Tribes who meets certain criteria, and who turns in a nominating petition with at least 10 signatures from active Tribal members over 18 years of age no later than 30 days before the election, may run for a Tribal Council position. The criteria mentioned above include being an enrolled member of CRIT, being at least 25 years old, and living on the CRIT reservation for at least one year before the election. The Manataba Messenger will include statements from those running for office in the December issue.
- Monday, December 8 - Certification of the election results by the Tribal Council at 9 a.m. in the Tribal Council chambers. Open to the public.
- Friday, January 2, 2007 - Installation of Tribal Council members at 9 a.m. in the Tribal Council Chambers.